Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pushing Through


Ever have one of those days that you feel like your on a roller coaster?  How about a roller coaster that isn’t fun?  Today that is what I felt like.  I thought that I was on a ride that was considered to dangerous, fast, and crazy to even be put in a Six Flags.  The worst part about this coaster is that it wasn’t just an emotional one or a mental one or a physical one…it was an all of them!

I started out the day feeling like my mind was bouncing off the walls but my body was stuck in a vat of molasses. I didn’t want to move or anything.  Not that I was sore or tiered or anything…just didn’t want to move.  I lacked motivation, determination, and drive. (Side note – it sucks when your mind wants to run a marathon but your body wants to stay in a cocoon). I knew that I needed to go to the gym and get my workout done however found myself coming back home past the gym and into my bed after I finished my work.

My greatest support and best friend talked me into getting up to go to the gym and found the motivation for me needed to match my energy physically with my energy mentally.

Finding myself at the gym I was ready to do my hour of biking. That was until I hit mile 9 at 30 mins and all energy and drive was gone.  I decided that a light workout would suffice for the day.  I got changed and decided to go to the mall and find some new swag for my workouts.  Hoping this would inspire me.  I was fortunate enough to find some nice bathing suits, goggles (for prescription eyes), and a new gym bag.  Again I was put up on a high.

Minutes later (due to personal reasons) I was hit right back to a low as I went to do my afternoon drive (a part of my job).  The whole time on my drive and when I got home I couldn’t push through the mental block that had hit me.  All I could think of was ordering a large pizza and eating it to myself while clearing out my PVR.  I am not even joking.  I even got to the point of picking up the phone!  That’s when it happened.  Everything seemed to pull together.  I glanced over at my new gear and decided that I should go get round two on at the gym.

This is where my coaster came to a nice end with no whiplash.  The most I have ever swum in one go is 750 meters.  Not because I couldn’t go longer but because I just always ended there.  I decided today that I would push past that mark even if it were by 25 meters.  The more I swam…the more energy I seemed to have.  Before I knew it I had completed 80 laps…2.0 km…2000 meters…1.25 miles.  I was ecstatic.  I feel like a million dollars and am very glad that I didn’t order a pizza. 

I know now that I am stronger than I thought I was and I know that I can push through!

1 comment:

  1. Holy moly 80 laps?!!! That’s awesome!!! I’m glad you were able to push past that roller coaster, sounds like it came to a pretty good end too. Keep up the great work :

    ReplyDelete